Friday, November 21, 2008

Healthy Cookies

The other day I eyed a couple of very over-ripe bananas on my counter, contemplating what to do with them. It was a cold day, and I wanted to give my kids cookies and cocoa for their after-school snack, so I began to wonder if I could fashion some sort of healthy cookie utilizing those bananas. I browsed some recipe sites but couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I decided to try my luck and see what I could create.

They actually turned out really well, and my kids asked me to make them again! I jotted down what I tossed into the batch, so now I've decided to use my blog to actually turn this creation into a recipe! This will also be my contribution to the recipe swap over at Grocery Cart Challenge - what a deal! ;-)

Healthier Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies

2 mashed bananas
1 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 c. wheat flour
1 c. white flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. chocolate chips or raisins

Cream the sugars with the bananas and peanut butter, beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flours, soda, salt, and cinnamon and blend into wet mixture. Fold in oats and chips or raisins (I used mini chocolate chips). The dough will be a bit sticky.

Drop onto lightly greased cookie sheet and spread a bit with the back of the spoon/scoop.

Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes or until beginning to brown.

For more amazing recipe ideas, be sure to visit Gayle's recipe swap!!!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

These look good. I posted about banana chocolate cookies this week also. But mine did not have peanut butter in them. I will have to try and add that. Thaks.

Monica said...

I know what I'm going to make this afternoon:) Thanks.