Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another $5 dinner

Tonight I made another meal for my family of 5 within the goal of $5. This one was a crock pot/bread machine dinner, which made it VERY easy on me! Since it's already been consumed by the aforementioned family, there are no photos, but here is the breakdown:

About 1 lb. London Broil, marked down - $2.50
2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes - $.50
1 lb. baby carrots - $1.00
1 can cream mushroom soup - $.50
1/2 batch bread machine rolls - $.43 (cost is $.85 for a batch)

Total dinner cost: $4.93

There are still a few potatoes and baby carrots left, along with some rich broth/gravy that I will add to my freezer soup container. I also cooked extra meat to use in tomorrow night's dinner of Cheeseburger Soup. I might go over the $5 mark tomorrow, but I always have plenty of leftovers when I make the soup, which is great for lunch the next day. I will try and break that one down tomorrow night!

For dessert, we're having apple pie. I made the pie from apples off my brother's tree (free) and, as always, made the crust from scratch. The pie probably cost me less than $.50 total!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good! Good deal!