Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Chips

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, or have perused the archives, you know that awhile back my husband brought home two HUGE cans of pumpkin, totalling about thirteen pounds! Well, today I finally opened the first of those cans. There is a Family Fun Night at the girls' school tomorrow and I signed up to make a couple of cakes for the cake walk. I decided that made it a great time to use some of my excess pumpkin. I ended up using one entire can of it today, and I baked ALLLLLLL day!!

I made my 2 cakes, 3 loaves of pumpkin bread, 2 dozen muffins, a 13x9 iced pumpkin cake, and a batch of pumpkin butter. One of my favorite recipes I made twice - once as a cake for the school and again in 2 loaves of bread (more like cake, but I used a loaf pan....). I thought I would share the recipe!

Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Chips

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. plain yogurt or applesauce (I tried both, equally good)
1/4 c. oil
2 c. canned pumpkin
2 1/2 c. flour
3 T. cinnamon
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips

Combine eggs and sugar in mixing bowl. Stir in yogurt/applesauce and oil, then add pumpkin and mix well.

Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl and combine the two. Fold in the chips.

Pour batter into Bundt pan, 13 x 9 pan, two 8 x 4 loaf pans, or 24-30 muffins. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes for muffins, 35-40 minutes for 13 x 9 pan, 50-60 minutes for loaf pans, or 1 hour 10 minutes for a Bundt, or until tests done with toothpick.

To really make it decadent, ice with chocolate frosting!! :-) Enjoy!

For more great recipes, visit the Grocery Cart Challenge.

1 comment:

Scott Franson Photography said...

This sounds like a great recipe, thanks for sharing it.
Claudia
claudiafranson.blogspot.com