Friday, October 31, 2008

Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake



The other day, my son got an A on a math quiz. For those of you who know my son, you know what a rare and exciting accomplishment this is! We had made a deal with him that if he ever got an A on a math quiz or test, he got to pick dessert that evening. He's 12, so this is quite an incentive! :) Well, he asked me to make him a cheesecake, and he wanted it to have chocolate and cherries. I wanted a smaller size cheesecake and I didn't have a recipe for this one, so I decided to just throw something together and see what we got. The result was VERY well received, and Jordan (my 8 year old) made me write down my recipe so I would make it again and again.

Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake

2 c. crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (we had these leftover from class parties)
1/3 c. melted butter
2 8-oz. packages lite cream cheese, softened (fat free would likely work, too)
1/2 c. sour cream
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 jar maraschino cherries - dry cherries on paper towels and cut into quarters, reserve 2 T. juice
1 c. mini chocolate chips

Combine the melted butter and the crushed cookies. Press into a pie plate to form the crust. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly while you finish making the filling.

For filling, beat the cream cheese and sour cream on medium speed until well blended. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time, until smooth and creamy. Fold in chopped cherries, 2 T. cherry juice, and chocolate chips.

Pour filling into crust and bake at 325 for about an hour, until center is set and no longer appears wet and the edge has turned just slightly golden. Cool, then refrigerate at least 4 hours. It's even better the next day!

For more great recipes, check out Gayle's recipe swap!!

1 comment:

WendyDarling said...

This sounds amazing! I'll definitely be making it. ;-)