Sunday, October 19, 2008

A slaw my family will EAT!!!

I have FINALLY created a slaw that everyone in the family actually ate today! Nobody but me will eat cole slaw, so it's just not something I try fixing unless I'm really in the mood for it. However, tonight I was in the fridge and found a bag of cole slaw mix (cabbage and carrots) that I had purchased this week that expired today. I knew I needed to use it, or it was just money wasted. So....I set about experimenting. I took about half the bag of slaw (I'm going to use the other half in a recipe for lunch tomorrow) and mixed in half a large can of crushed pineapple. I diced up a peach, a pear, and an apple, and added them. Then I stirred in around 3/4 of a cup of plain (homemade) yogurt and a handful of mini marshmallows. I let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, and it turned out great! I told the kids it was basically a fruit salad with cabbage. My youngest picked out the cabbage, but ate everything else, so I won't complain.

Even my husband ate it, and he doesn't like pineapple! I'm happy to have finally found a way to get my family to eat at least a little bit of cabbage. I'm constantly trying to get them to try new things, and it's not often easy. Another recent attempt was bulgur. I love the stuff, but only DH would eat it. Maybe someday I'll find a recipe that will work for that, too.....

No comments: