Friday, July 3, 2009

A Trip to Save-A-Lot

I ended up making another brief grocery run today. We had been invited over to spend tomorrow with friends, and I wanted to make a fun and festive dessert for the occasion. My older daughter and I brainstormed and came up with making a trifle out of cake, Cool Whip, strawberries, and blueberries. I have a pretty trifle dish that rarely appears outside of the cabinet, so I love to use it whenever inspiration strikes.

I discovered that Save-a-Lot is currently offering a coupon on its website for $5 off a $20 purchase (http://www.save-a-lot.com). I love discounts, and there was a Save-a-Lot near where I was going anyway today, so I decided to use the coupon. I have to say that I didn't care for the store. I haven't been there in over a year, and obviously for good reason. Much of the fresh items were of questionable quality (had to look long and hard for the produce I bought) and the store wasn't very clean at all. It makes me want to sign up for their mystery shops just to let corporate know that this isn't a great store. On top of the store's issues, many of the people shopping there were in dire need of a bar of soap, at a minimum. Yuck! My son gagged a couple of times, and I had to alter my route around the store to avoid a few folks. But that's getting off track, isn't it? I'm going to stick with shopping at Aldi!!

Here's what I ended up purchasing on my visit to Save-a-Lot:

Angelfood cake mix - $1.89
Biscuit mix - $1.89
Dry pint blueberries - $1.99
3.59 lbs. peaches - $3.20
10 lbs. potatoes - $2.50
1 lb. strawberries - $2.00
5 limes - .50
4 boxes of Popsicle treats for the kids - sale $1.00 each
1 gallon milk - $2.29
Bottle chocolate syrup - $1.39

With the discount, I spent $17.25. Not the best trip, but not terrible, either, and I needed the milk and potatoes. I like having the biscuit mix on hand, too. I've tried making it myself, but it never seems to turn out as well. I'll keep trying, but for now, I'll just be bad. For reference, I never make actual biscuits from a mix - I always make them from scratch. But in recipes, my homemade biscuit mix just never seems to work! If you have any tips or tried and true recipes, please let me know!!

1 comment:

Annie Jones said...

Do you think that maybe it just depends on where the store is located?

It seems like the ones I've visited have varied widely in terms of cleanliness, quality of produce, etc.

The one closest to me is very nice with good produce; I would shop there often if it was closer to my home.

The the next closest one needs a lot of improvement in both areas.